This classic Arabian dish is comforting, rich and easy to make.
85g butter, plus extra for greasing
200g Medjool dates, pitted and roughly chopped
1 tsp. vanilla essence
1 tsp. Bicarbonate of soda
140g Self-rising flour
2 tsp. Ground ginger
85g Dark Muscovado sugar
2 Eggs, beaten
2 Balls stem ginger, chopped
100g Dark Muscovado sugar
3 tbsp. syrup, from the ginger jar
- Heat oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Lightly grease a deep 2-litre (about 28 x 20cm) oval baking dish.
- Tip the dates into a pan, pour over the milk and bring up to scalding point.
- Remove from the heat, add the vanilla essence and bicarbonate of soda, then leave to one side.
- Sift the flour and ginger into a bowl, then add the sugar, butter and eggs.
- Beat with an electric whisk for about 5 mins. Fold in the date mixture and stem ginger, then pour into the baking dish.
- Sprinkle the sugar over the pudding batter, then drizzle with the syrup.
- Pour 250ml boiling water over (do not stir), then bake for 40-45 mins until the pudding is firm to the touch.
- Serve spoonful of the pudding with a generous helping of syrupy sauce from the bottom of the dish.
Great with vanilla ice cream or pouring cream.