Easy Broccoli Cheddar Soup Is ready in less than 30 minutes! Creamy comfort in a bowl with tender broccoli, Cheddar cheese, and SO MUCH FLAVOR!
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 onion, chopped
1/4 cup melted butter
1/4 cup flour
2 cups milk
2 cups chicken / vegetable stock
1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped broccoli florets
1 cup matchstick-cut carrots
1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
2 1/2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
Salt and black pepper
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté onion in butter until translucent, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Whisk 1/4 cup melted butter and flour together in a large saucepan over medium-low heat; cook until flour loses its granular texture, adding 1 to 2 tablespoons of milk if necessary to keep the flour from burning, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Gradually pour milk into flour mixture while whisking constantly. Stir chicken or vegetable stock into milk mixture. Bring to a simmer; cook until flour taste is gone and mixture is thickened, about 20 minutes. Add broccoli, carrots, sautéed onion, and celery; simmer until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Stir Cheddar cheese into vegetable mixture until cheese melts.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.