If you love cheese and love potatoes, you’ll adore this delicious recipe! Takes time to cook, but the result is so yummy and the smell is intoxicating!!!
6 Red potatoes, washed, but not peeled
6 Gold potatoes, washed, but not peeled
1 Onion, sliced thinly
3 tbsp. butter
3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
2 Cloves garlic, pressed
1 tsp. dry mustard
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp. paprika
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 Cups whole milk
1 Cup cheddar cheese shredded
1/2 Cup Gruyere cheese shredded
1/4 Cup Parmesan cheese grated
Fresh chives, for garnish
Fresh parsley, for garnish
Additional 1/4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
Additional 1/4 cup gruyere cheese, shredded
Additional 2 Tbsp. Parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Butter a 2-quart casserole dish and set aside.
- Slice potatoes in 1/8″ thin slices and set aside.
- Add butter to medium saucepan, and heat over MED heat. When butter is melted, add garlic and sauté for 1 minute, until fragrant. Add flour, whisk, and cook 1 minute. Slowly add milk, whisking continuously, until no lumps remain. Whisk over MED heat until mixture is thick and coats the back of a spoon.
- Turn off heat, add cheeses, dry mustard, thyme, paprika, salt and pepper, and stir until smooth.
- Layer half the potatoes and onion slices in prepared casserole dish, pour approximately half of the cheese sauce over potatoes and let sit for a minute. Repeat with remaining potatoes, onions, and cheese sauce.
- Sprinkle top of potatoes with gruyere, cheddar and Parmesan. Spray aluminum foil with cooking spray, then cover the casserole dish (sprayed side down). Place casserole on a baking sheet and bake for 60 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake uncovered an additional 25-30 minutes. Potatoes should be tender and cheese melted. Broil on HIGH for a minute or two for extra browning and crispiness.
- Sprinkle top with chives and parsley and serve.
- Is your mouth watering yet??? Go ahead and serve hot!!!