This cheesy spinach finger food is an excellent, easy and tasty vegetarian starter that will be an instant hit at the party.
4 sheets of Puff Pastry
2 ½ cups fresh Spinach, Moisture squeezed out
1 Onion, finely diced
2 cloves of Garlic, pressed
1 tbsp. Olive Oil
1 cup Ricotta
1 cup Feta, crumbled
Salt and pepper, according to taste
1 Egg + 1/2 tbsp water for an egg wash.
- Start by finely dicing half an onion and mincing 1-2 cloves of garlic.
- Heat some olive oil in a pan on medium heat and sauté the diced onion until it turns soft and translucent. Then add the pressed garlic and sauté for another minute or so.
- Add the spinach in the pan, mix it with the onion and garlic. Cover the pan and let the spinach thaw and heat through for 4-5 minutes. Take the lid off and sauté the spinach till there’s no more liquid in the pan. Turn off the heat and set the spinach aside to cool.
- While the spinach mixture is cooling, season the ricotta cheese generously with salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Add the cooked spinach mixture to the ricotta mix it all well. Also mix in the feta cheese to the spinach and ricotta.
- Make an egg wash by whisking one egg and a little water together and set it aside for later.
- Pre-heat your oven to 425F.
- To assemble the spinach rolls, cut the puff pastry sheets into strips
- Spoon the spinach mixture at the corner of the pastry dough and roll it.
- Brush the top of the pastry with egg wash.
- Bake the spinach puff pastry rolls at 425F for 18-22 minutes until they are golden and puffy!
- Serve hot.