Despite this being a common dish in the middle east, it is a popular Omani dish par excellence. “Kabuli” is an Ethiopian term that means “rice seasoned with spices”. Kabuli dish can be prepared with meat or chicken, both marinated with spices, sultana raisins, saffron, cinnamon and cardamom.
3 Cups Basmati rice washed and drained
4 Chicken quarters, it is also convenient to use boneless chicken
3 tbsp. Omani Spice Mix
¼ kg Tender green peas
1 tsp. Saffron soaked in one cup of rose water
25 gms. Cinnamon Sticks
15 Cardamom pods
15 Whole Cloves
15 Whole Black Pepper
4 tbsp. Ghee
1 Big diced onion
2 tbsp. Ginger/ Garlic paste
Salt to taste
3 tbsp. Sultana raisins soaked in warm water
3 Blanched and diced almonds
- Put the chicken pieces and water in a large pot; add whole spices and bring to a boil.
- Strain the stock and set aside.
- In a large pan take ghee and sauté diced onion till pink. Add ginger/ garlic paste along with salt, Omani spice mix.
- Add tender green peas and boiled chicken and stir well – Cover and cook for 10 min. on low flame.
- Uncover and add saffron soaked rose water and cook for another 5 min.
- Put the drained rice and stir well.
- Add the stock and more water if needed – Cover and cook for 25 min. on low flame till rice and chicken is completely cooked and the stock is dried.
- Turn off the heat and let it rest for 2 hours.
- Reheat and serve after garnishing with raisins and diced almonds.